By Seth Eggert, NASCAR Writer
22 races into the NASCAR Xfinity Series season, only three of the NASCAR Xfinity Series regulars (Justin Allgaier, Ryan Reed, and William Byron three times) have scored victories during the 2017 season.
This weekend the NASCAR Xfinity Series travels to Road America for the Johnsonville 180, the 23rd race of the season. Sadler continues to lead the Championship Point standings, despite not scoring a win. He leads with 110 points over his JR Motorsports teammate, Byron.
The last time the Xfinity Series visited Road America, Michael McDowell took the victory in dominating fashion. McDowell led 20 of the 48 laps. He finished 0.534 seconds ahead of Brendan Gaughan, Brennan Poole, Daniel Suarez, and Ryan Reed rounded out the top five that day.
Gaughan is the only former winner in Sunday’s field. In seven races at Road America for the NASCAR Xfinity Series, there have been seven different winners.
Xfinity Series Championship
Only seven NASCAR Xfinity Series regulars that have Playoff points. Byron leads the series with 17 Playoff Points. Allgaier has eight Playoff points, Reed has five, while Sadler has five Playoff points and Blake Koch has two. Brendan Gaughan and Daniel Hemric have a single Playoff point each.
The race for the Playoffs is only getting tighter with four races left as Michael Annett who sits 11th in points, has a cushion of 55 points over Ross Chastain. Gaughan, 12th, has 43 points over Sieg. J.J. Yeley, 14th, is tied with Chastain in points. Ryan Sieg is also within range, 47 points behind Gaughan.
At Road America, the first stage ends on lap 10, the second stage on lap 20, and the final stage on lap 45.
What to Watch for in the Johnsonville 180
There are several storylines going into this weekend’s race to watch for:
- Ben Kennedy returns to the No. 2 Rheem Chevrolet Camaro for Richard Childress Racing.
- Scott Lagasse, Jr. returns to the No. 3 Bellin Health / American Cancer Society Chevrolet Camaro for Richard Childress Racing.
- Christopher Bell will be in the No. 18 Toyota Care Toyota Camry for Joe Gibbs Racing.
- James Davison will be in the No. 20 Hollinger Motorsports / LaSalle Solutions / Lake Forest Hearing Toyota Camry for Joe Gibbs Racing.
- Austin Cindric will make his NASCAR Xfinity Series debut to the No. 22 Discount Tire Ford Mustang for Team Penske.
- Dylan Lupton returns to the No. 24 Nut Up Toyota Camry for JGL Racing.
- Justin Marks returns to the No. 42 Katerra Chevrolet Camaro for Chip Ganassi Racing.
- Parker Kligerman returns to the NASCAR Xfinity Series in the No. 46 ComServe Wireless Chevrolet Camaro for Precision Performance Motorsports.
- Casey Mears will be in the No. 98 Geico Military Ford Mustang for Biagi-Denbeste Racing.
The full entry list can be found here.
Where and When to Watch (All Times Eastern)
Practice 1: Saturday, August 26, at 2:00 p.m., NBCSN
Practice 2: Saturday, August 26, at 3:00 p.m., NBCSN
Qualifying: Sunday, August 27, at 11:45 a.m., CNBC
Race: Sunday, August 27, at 3:00 p.m. on NBC, NBC Sports Live Extra, SiriusXM NASCAR Radio, and the Motor Racing Network.