By Seth Eggert, NASCAR Writer
31 races into the NASCAR Xfinity Series season, only four of the NASCAR Xfinity Series regulars (Jeremy Clements, Ryan Reed, Justin Allgaier twice, and William Byron three times) have scored victories during the 2017 season. This weekend the NASCAR Xfinity Series travels to Phoenix Raceway for the Ticket Galaxy 200, the 32nd race of the season. After the events at Texas Motor Speedway, Elliott Sadler leads the points standings with his JR Motorsports teammate Byron five-points behind in second.
The last time the Xfinity Series visited Phoenix, Allgaier took the victory in exciting fashion. He beat Ryan Blaney by 0.741 seconds after a late-race restart. Erik Jones, Byron, and Sadler rounded out the top five that day.
Allgaier and Sadler are the only formers winner at Phoenix in Saturday’s field.
Xfinity Series Championship Clinch Scenarios
With a win, Sadler would clinch. If a Playoff driver wins, he would clinch with 32 points. If a Playoff driver doesn’t win, he would clinch with 27 points. The same goes for Byron, and on points he would clinch with 32 points. Allgaier would clinch on points with 36 points or a win. Poole has a little more of an outside shot with points. He would clinch on points with 51 points or with a win.
For Tifft, Cole Custer, Daniel Hemric, and Reed, only a win can truly guarantee them a spot at Homestead. Otherwise, Tifft, Custer, and Hemric could clinch on points with help.
At Phoenix, the first stage ends on lap 60, the second stage on lap 120, and the final stage on lap 200.
What to Watch for in the Ticket Galaxy 200
There are several storylines going into this weekend’s race to watch for:
- Elliott Sadler will have Cessna as the sponsor of his No. 1 JR Motorsports Chevrolet Camaro this weekend.
- Austin Dillon returns to the No. 2 Ruud Chevrolet Camaro for Richard Childress Racing.
- Ty Dillon returns to the No. 3 Advil Chevrolet Camaro for Richard Childress Racing.
- Caesar Bacarella will make his NASCAR Xfinity Series debut in the No. 8 AlphaPrimeUSA.com Chevrolet Camaro for BJ McLeod Motorsports
- Christopher Bell will be in the No. 18 Safelite Toyota Camry for Joe Gibbs Racing.
- Erik Jones will be in the No. 20 Hisense Toyota Camry for Joe Gibbs Racing.
- Ryan Blaney will be in the No. 22 Discount Tire Ford Mustang for Team Penske.
- Corey LaJoie returns in the No. 24 youtheory Toyota Camry for JGL Racing.
- Alex Bowman returns in the No. 42 Energizer Ultimate Lithium Battery Chevrolet Camaro for Chip Ganassi Racing.
- Casey Mears returns in the No. 98 Geico Military Ford Mustang for Biagi Denbeste Racing. It was announced earlier this month that next season Biagi Denbeste will partner with Stewart Haas Racing in the Xfinity Series.
Where and When to Watch (All Times Eastern)
Practice 1: Friday, November 10, at 2:30 p.m., on NBCSN.
Practice 2: Friday, November 10, at 5:30 p.m., on NBCSN.
Qualifying: Saturday, November 11, at 12:35 p.m., on NBCSN.
Race: Saturday, November 11, at 3:30 p.m., on NBCSN, NBC Sports Live Extra, SiriusXM NASCAR Radio, and the Motor Racing Network.