By Seth Eggert, Staff Writer
It’s the 17th race of the season as the NASCAR Xfinity Series returns to Kentucky Speedway for the Alsco 300. Cup drivers, the return of Spencer Gallagher, and stage racing are just some of the storylines heading into the midway point of the season.
Coverage for the Alsco 300 is scheduled to start Friday at 8:00 p.m. ET. Kentucky has been on the Xfinity Series schedule since 2001 and has never hosted the 17th race of the season before. In 23 races at the 1.5-mile tri-oval, 14 drivers have visited victory lane. The last three races at Kentucky have produced three different winners.
The last time the Xfinity Series visited Kentucky, Tyler Reddick took the victory in dominant and historic fashion. Reddick beat his then-Chip Ganassi Racing teammate, Brennan Poole to the line by 14.540 seconds, making it the biggest margin of victory on a 1.5-mile track in NASCAR Xfinity Series history. Seven drivers that finish in the top-10 that day are entered in Friday night’s race.
By the Numbers
What: Alsco 300, NASCAR Xfinity Series Race 17
Where: Kentucky Speedway – Sparta, Kentucky (Opened: 2000)
TV/Radio: NBC Sports Network, 8:00 p.m. ET / PRN and SiriusXM Channel 90
Track Size: 1.5-mile tri-oval
Banking: 17 degrees in turns 1 & 2, 14 degrees in turns 3 & 4, 8-10 degrees on the frontstretch, and 4 degrees on the backstretch.
Race Length: 200 laps, 300 liles (Three Stages, 45/90/200)
2017 Race Winner:Kyle Busch – No. 18 NOS Energy Drink Rowdy Toyota Camry (Started one the pole, 70 laps led).
Track Qualifying Record: Kyle Busch (187.381 mph – 2016).
Storylines Heading into the Alsco 300:
There are several storylines going into this weekend’s race to watch for:
- Ty Dillon returns to the No. 3 Red Kap / Alsco Chevrolet Camaro SS for Richard Childress Racing.
- Justin Allgaier will have Dale Jr.’s Whisky River as the primary sponsor of his No. 7 Chevrolet Camaro SS for JR Motorsports.
- Ray Black II returns to the No. 8 JW Transport, LLC Chevrolet Camaro SS for BJ McLeod Motorsports.
- Austin Cindric will be in the No. 12 Lasik Vision Institute Ford Mustang for Team Penske.
- Kyle Busch returns to the No. 18 Nos Energy Drink Toyota Camry for Joe Gibbs Racing.
- Paul Menard will be in the No. 22 Discount Tire Ford Mustang for Team Penske.
- Spencer Gallagher returns to the No. 23 Allegiant Chevrolet Camaro SS for GMS Racing. This is Gallagher’s first race since completing the Road to Recovery Program.
- John Hunter Nemechek returns to the No. 42 Anderson Columbia Co., Inc. Chevrolet Camaro SS for Chip Ganassi Racing.
- Ty Majeski returns to the No. 60 Ford Mustang for Roush Fenway Racing.
Weekend Schedule (All Times Eastern)
Thursday, July 12
- NXS Practice 1 (4:05 p.m. – 4:50 p.m., on NBC Sports App)
- NXS Practice 2 (6:05 p.m. – 6:50 p.m., on NBC Sports App)
Friday, July 12
- NXS Qualifying (5:05 p.m., on NBCSN)
- NXS Alsco 300 (8:00 p.m. – 200 laps, 300 miles – on NBCSN, SiriusXM Channel 90, and the Performance Racing Network)