By Seth Eggert, Staff Writer
It’s the 13th race of the season and only three full-time NASCAR Xfinity Series regulars has scored a victory. The Xfinity Series returns to Michigan International Speedway for the LTi Printing 250. The continued use of the aero package used at Indianapolis last year, Cup drivers, and stage racing are just some of the storylines heading into the 13th race of the season.
Coverage for the LTi Printing 250 is scheduled to start Saturday at 1:00 p.m. ET. Michigan has been on the schedule since 1992 and has hosted the 13th race of the season since 2012. In 26 races at the high-banked 2-mile D-Shaped Oval, 20 drivers have visited victory lane. The last time a Xfinity Series regular won at Michigan was Daniel Suarez in 2016. The last eight races at Michigan have produced eight different winners.
The last time the Xfinity Series visited Michigan, Denny Hamlin took the victory in dramatic fashion. Hamlin edged William Byron in a photo finish, winning by 0.012 seconds. Six drivers that finished in the top-10 that day to be entered in Saturday’s field.
By the Numbers
What: LTi Printing 250, NASCAR Xfinity Series Race 13
Where: Michigan International Speedway – Brooklyn, Michigan (Opened: 1968)
TV/Radio: FOX, 1:00 p.m. ET / MRN and SiriusXM Channel 90
Track Size: 2.0-mile D-Shaped Oval
Banking: 18 degrees in the turns, 12 degrees on the frontstretch, and 5 degrees on the backstretch.
Race Length: 125 Laps, 250 Miles (Three Stages, 30/60/125)
2017 Race Winner:Denny Hamlin – No. 20 Hisense 4K TV Toyota Camry (Started fifth, 34 laps led).
Track Qualifying Record: Joey Logano (37.157 seconds, 193.772 mph – 6/13/2015).
Storylines Heading into the LTi Printing 250:
There are several storylines going into this weekend’s race to watch for:
- Cole Custer will have Code 3 Associates as the primary sponsor of his No. 00 Ford Mustang for Stewart-Haas Racing.
- Austin Dillon returns to the No. 3 Bass Pro Shops / Cabela’s Chevrolet Camaro SS for Richard Childress Racing.
- Kyle Busch returns to the No. 18 Maltesers Toyota Camry for Joe Gibbs Racing.
- Paul Menard will be in the No. 22 Menards / Richmond Ford Mustang for Team Penske.
- Alex Bowman will make his first Xfinity Series start of the season in the No. 23 ISM Connect Chevrolet Camaro SS for GMS Racing
- Dylan Lupton returns to the No. 28 Fatal Clothing Ford Mustang for JGL Racing.
- John Hunter Nemechek returns to the No. 42 Chevrolet Accessories Chevrolet Camaro SS for Chip Ganassi Racing.
- Chase Briscoe returns to the No. 60 Nutri Chomps Ford Mustang for Roush Fenway Racing.
- Austin Cindric will be in the No. 60 LTi Printing Ford Mustang for Roush Fenway Racing.
- Kaz Grala will be in the No. 61 NETTTS Ford Mustang for Fury Race Cars LLC.
- Kevin Harvick will be in the No. 98 FIELDS Ford Mustang for Stewart-Haas Racing with Biagi-Denbeste Racing.
Weekend Schedule (All Times Eastern)
Friday, June 8
- NXS Practice 1 (1:05 p.m. – 1:55 p.m., on Fox Sports 1)
- NXS Practice 2 (3:05 p.m. – 3:55 p.m., on Fox Sports 1)
Saturday, June 9
- NXS Qualifying (10:05 a.m., on Fox Sports 1)
- NXS LTi Printing 250 (1:00 p.m. – 125 laps, 250 miles – on FOX, SiriusXM Channel 90, and the Motor Racing Network)