By Seth Eggert, Staff Writer
It’s the 21st race of the season and three full-time NASCAR Xfinity Series regulars have combined to score seven victories. The Xfinity Series returns to the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course for the Rock N Roll Tequila 170. Road course ringers, the possibility of racing in the rain, and stage racing are just some of the storylines heading into the 21st race of the season.
Coverage for the Rock N Roll Tequila 170 is scheduled to start Saturday at 3:00 p.m. ET. The Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course has been on the schedule since the 2013 season. The track has hosted the 21st race of the season since 2015. In five races at the 2.258-mile road course there has never been a repeat winner.
The last time the Xfinity Series visited Mid-Ohio, Sam Hornish, Jr. took the victory in dominant and dramatic fashion, leading 61 laps. After a late restart, Hornish had to hold off Daniel Hemric, Matt Tifft, and James Davison to win by 1.335 seconds. Six drivers that finish in the top-10 that day are entered in Saturday’s race. Justin Marks is the only former winner entered in the race.
By the Numbers
What:Rock N Roll Tequila 170, NASCAR Xfinity Series Race 21
Where: Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course– Lexington, Ohio (Opened: 1962)
TV/Radio:NBCSN, 3:00 p.m. ET / MRN and SiriusXM Channel 90
Track Size: 2.258-mile, 13-Turn Road Course.
Race Length: 75 Laps, 169 Miles (Three Stages, 20/40/75)
2017 Race Winner:Sam Hornish, Jr. – No. 22 Discount Tire Ford Mustang (Started on the pole, 61 laps led).
Track Qualifying Record: Sam Hornish, Jr. (1:23.921 seconds, 96.863 mph – 8/12/2017).
Storylines Heading into the Rock N Roll Tequila 170:
There are several storylines going into this weekend’s race to watch for:
- Brendan Gaughan returns to the No. 3 South Point Hotel & Casino Chevrolet Camaro SS for Richard Childress Racing.
- Katherine Legge will make her NASCAR Xfinity Series debut in the No. 15 Chevrolet Camaro SS for JD Motorsports with Gary Keller.
- Kyle Benjamin returns to the No. 18 Toyota Service Centers / Mobil 1 Toyota Camry for Joe Gibbs Racing.
- Austin Cindric will be in the No. 22 PPG Ford Mustang for Team Penske.
- Spencer Gallagher returns to the No. 23 Allegiant Chevrolet Camaro SS for GMS Racing.
- Justin Marks will make his first start of the season in the No. 42 Chevrolet Accessories Chevrolet Camaro SS for Chip Ganassi Racing.
- Dylan Murcott will make his Series debut in the No. 55 Toyota Camry for JP Motorsports.
- Chase Briscoe returns to the No. 60 Ford Mustang for Roush Fenway Racing.
- Kaz Grala returns in the No. 61 DMB Financial Ford Mustang for Fury Race Cars LLC.
- Andy Lally will make his first start of the season in the No. 90 HENRY Chevrolet Camaro SS for DGM Racing.
Weekend Schedule (All Times Eastern)
Friday, August 10
- NXS Practice 1 (1:35 p.m. – 2:55 p.m.)
- NXS Practice 2 (4:05 p.m. – 4:55 p.m.)
Saturday, August 11
- NXS Qualifying (11:30 a.m.)
- NXS Rock N Roll Tequila 170 (3:00 p.m. – 75 laps, 169 miles – on NBCSN, SiriusXM Channel 90, and the Motor Racing Network)