By Reid Spencer, NASCAR Wire Service
PLYMOUTH, Wis. – Defending race winner Chase Elliott couldn’t have asked for a better start to July 4 weekend at Road America.
Making up more than three tenths of a second over the final three corners at the 4.048-mile road course, Elliott narrowly edged a disappointed Chase Briscoe for the pole position for Sunday’s Kwik Trip 250 (3 p.m. ET on USA Network, MRN and SiriusXM NASCAR Radio).
Running late in the final round of Saturday’s time trials, Elliott navigated the mammoth circuit in 134.427 seconds (108.407 mph) to knock Briscoe (108. 376 mph) off the provisional pole by .038 seconds.
“It was a little more fun than I thought it would be, for sure,” Elliott said of his lap, which exceeded his own expectations. “Hopefully, the results are the same tomorrow as they were last year—that’s what’s important…
“We’ll go to work and see if we can get it driving like it needs to tomorrow. I think it’s going to be really hard to pass, based on what I saw there in practice. Just want to keep track position as long as we can—that’s always a tough think at road courses—and manage that balance of what to do at what time.”
In winning the 11th Busch Pole Award of his career and his second this season, Elliott denied a frustrated Briscoe his second NASCAR Cup Series pole.
“I did a terrible job,” Briscoe said of his lap. “I was more sideways than straight. I feel like I gave up six-tenths easily in different corners. My team definitely deserves the pole, but the driver doesn’t deserve the pole. I have to clean that up.
“We should be really good for tomorrow, though. We have a really fast Ford, and I have to put it together. I was overdriving so bad. I’ve just got to slow down. I have to learn from that. I have a really good car, and that will be big for tomorrow. We’ll see if we can put it all together and get the driver to stop messing up.”
Kyle Larson qualified third at 108.210 mph, followed by Tyler Reddick at 108.155 mph. Austin Cindric, Michael McDowell, Chris Buescher, Alex Bowman, Joey hand and Cole Custer will start fifth through 10th, respectively.
Trackhouse Racing drivers Ross Chastain and Daniel Suarez, who won the first two road course races of the season at Circuit of the Americas and Sonoma Raceway, respectively, failed to make the final round. Chastain will start 12th on Sunday, with Suarez taking the green flag from the 17th spot.
Road course ace AJ Allmendinger qualified 21st in the No. 16 Kaulig Racing Chevrolet.
NASCAR Cup Series Qualifying – 2nd Annual Kwik Trip 250 Presented by JOCKEY Made in America
Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin
Saturday, July 2, 2022
1. (9) Chase Elliott, Chevrolet, 108.407 mph.
2. (14) Chase Briscoe, Ford, 108.376 mph.
3. (5) Kyle Larson, Chevrolet, 108.210 mph.
4. (8) Tyler Reddick, Chevrolet, 108.155 mph.
5. (2) Austin Cindric #, Ford, 108.123 mph.
6. (34) Michael McDowell, Ford, 108.112 mph.
7. (17) Chris Buescher, Ford, 107.857 mph.
8. (48) Alex Bowman, Chevrolet, 107.788 mph.
9. (15) Joey Hand, Ford, 107.748 mph.
10. (41) Cole Custer, Ford, 107.480 mph.
11. (6) Brad Keselowski, Ford, 0.000 mph.
12. (1) Ross Chastain, Chevrolet, 0.000 mph.
13. (18) Kyle Busch, Toyota, 0.000 mph.
14. (11) Denny Hamlin, Toyota, 0.000 mph.
15. (19) Martin Truex Jr., Toyota, 0.000 mph.
16. (20) Christopher Bell, Toyota, 0.000 mph.
17. (99) Daniel Suarez, Chevrolet, 0.000 mph.
18. (22) Joey Logano, Ford, 0.000 mph.
19. (12) Ryan Blaney, Ford, 0.000 mph.
20. (3) Austin Dillon, Chevrolet, 0.000 mph.
21. (16) AJ Allmendinger(i), Chevrolet, 0.000 mph.
22. (45) Kurt Busch, Toyota, 0.000 mph.
23. (21) Harrison Burton #, Ford, 0.000 mph.
24. (10) Aric Almirola, Ford, 0.000 mph.
25. (23) Bubba Wallace, Toyota, 0.000 mph.
26. (77) Josh Bilicki(i), Chevrolet, 0.000 mph.
27. (43) Erik Jones, Chevrolet, 0.000 mph.
28. (4) Kevin Harvick, Ford, 0.000 mph.
29. (24) William Byron, Chevrolet, 0.000 mph.
30. (42) Ty Dillon, Chevrolet, 0.000 mph.
31. (51) Cody Ware, Ford, 0.000 mph.
32. (38) Todd Gilliland #, Ford, 0.000 mph.
33. (47) Ricky Stenhouse Jr., Chevrolet, 0.000 mph.
34. (31) Justin Haley, Chevrolet, 0.000 mph.
35. (7) Corey LaJoie, Chevrolet, 0.000 mph.
36. (27) Loris Hezemans(i), Ford, 0.000 mph.
37. (78) Kyle Tilley, Ford, 0.000 mph.
Connect with Us
To RSS Feed