By Holly Cain, NASCAR Wire Service
Todd Gilliland was so fast and so determined out front in Saturday’s Toyota Tundra 225 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race his own team had to remind him to slow down and take care of his tires in the closing laps of the series debut at the Circuit of the Americas (COTA) race.
Despite receiving the cautionary advice, Gilliland, 21, did not ease off and raced to a hefty 7.941-second margin of victory to earn his second career series win and first since 2019. His No. 38 Front Row Motorsports Ford set the fastest lap of the race with two laps remaining.
“I definitely did a lot of stuff wrong but that’s what I love about road course racing, there’s 20 turns here, 20 opportunities to pass but also make mistakes,’’ Gilliland said, thanking his Front Row Motorsports team.
“Last year we didn’t quite have the season we knew we could and just to come out here and win early, we’ve been building momentum and for my team to get this win is just amazing.’’
Gilliland and the rest of the field ran wet tires flag-to-flag, so his team kept reminding him to be careful and look for wet spots on the track since the rain stopped mid-race. He hit his marks on the 3.41-mile 20-turn circuit and he hit the puddled water just enough to carry on to the victory – leading the final six laps and earning an extra $50,000 incentive in the second race of the series’ Triple Truck Challenge.
Kaz Grala finished runner-up, followed by pole-winner Tyler Ankrum, Grant Enfinger and Sheldon Creed, who led a race-best 14 of the 41 laps.
Seventeen year-old driver Sam Mayer, rookie Carson Hocevar, Zane Smith, Austin Hill and Ben Rhodes rounded out the Top-10. Championship points leader John Hunter Nemechek finished 12th.
Gilliland actually won Stage 1 – his first stage win of 2021 – and was first out during the ensuing pit stops during that caution period. But NASCAR ruled one of his pit crew members was over the wall too soon and Gilliland was penalized – sent to the rear of the field on the restart.
With Gilliland now forced to play catch-up, defending series champion Sheldon Creed led most of Stage 2, pitting just before it ended and allowing Ben Rhodes to instead take his first Stage win of the year.
Creed and Ankrum battled one another up front – at one point passing each other three different times on one lap – before Gilliland – who methodically worked his way forward was able to take the lead for good with five laps remaining. Grala passed Ankrum with two laps remaining to tie his best ever series finish.
The victory marks Gilliland’s fifth Top-10 showing in the last six races and as he told his team on the victory lap, “I know we can do this [win races] a lot.’’
Gilliland becomes the fourth full-time NASCAR Camping World Truck Series driver to win this season – joining two-race winners John Hunter Nemechek and Rhodes, and last week’s winner Creed.
The series races next Friday night in the North Carolina Education Lottery 200 at Charlotte Motor Speedway (8:30 p.m. ET, FS1, MRN, SiriusXM NASCAR Radio).
NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Race – Inaugural Toyota Tundra 225
Circuit of The Americas
Saturday, May 22, 2021
1. (5) Todd Gilliland, Ford, 41.
2. (2) Kaz Grala, Chevrolet, 41.
3. (1) Tyler Ankrum, Chevrolet, 41.
4. (23) Grant Enfinger, Chevrolet, 41.
5. (3) Sheldon Creed, Chevrolet, 41.
6. (21) Sam Mayer, Chevrolet, 41.
7. (17) Carson Hocevar #, Chevrolet, 41.
8. (15) Zane Smith, Chevrolet, 41.
9. (9) Austin Hill, Toyota, 41.
10. (11) Ben Rhodes, Toyota, 41.
11. (26) Paul Menard, Toyota, 41.
12. (6) John Hunter Nemechek, Toyota, 41.
13. (13) Parker Kligerman, Chevrolet, 41.
14. (28) Hailie Deegan #, Ford, 41.
15. (4) Matt Crafton, Toyota, 41.
16. (29) Austin Wayne Self, Chevrolet, 41.
17. (16) Stewart Friesen, Toyota, 41.
18. (8) Parker Chase, Toyota, 41.
19. (24) Camden Murphy, Chevrolet, 41.
20. (12) Ryan Truex, Chevrolet, 41.
21. (19) Derek Kraus, Toyota, 41.
22. (27) Johnny Sauter, Toyota, 41.
23. (32) Lawless Alan, Toyota, 41.
24. (22) Timmy Hill, Chevrolet, 41.
25. (30) Tate Fogleman, Chevrolet, 41.
26. (14) Bayley Currey, Chevrolet, 41.
27. (31) Chase Purdy #, Chevrolet, 41.
28. (33) Jack Wood, Chevrolet, 41.
29. (25) Michele Abbate, Toyota, 41.
30. (34) Cory Roper, Ford, 41.
31. (36) Tanner Gray, Ford, 40.
32. (18) Timothy Peters, Chevrolet, 40.
33. (20) Chandler Smith #, Toyota, 39.
34. (35) Roger Reuse, Chevrolet, 38.
35. (10) Christian Eckes, Toyota, Suspension, 36.
36. (7) Cameron Lawrence, Chevrolet, 34.
Average Speed of Race Winner: 70.79 mph.
Time of Race: 1 Hrs, 58 Mins, 30 Secs. Margin of Victory: 7.941 Seconds.
Caution Flags: 2 for 2 laps.
Lead Changes: 8 among 6 drivers.
Lap Leaders: K. Grala 1-11;T. Gilliland 12-13;S. Creed 14-23;B. Rhodes 24-26;M. Crafton 27;S. Creed 28-31;T. Ankrum 32-35;T. Gilliland 36-41.
Leaders Summary (Driver, Times Lead, Laps Led): Sheldon Creed 2 times for 14 laps; Kaz Grala 1 time for 11 laps; Todd Gilliland 2 times for 8 laps; Tyler Ankrum 1 time for 4 laps; Ben Rhodes 1 time for 3 laps; Matt Crafton 1 time for 1 lap.
Stage #1 Top Ten: 38,02,26,88,99,32,52,4,2,56
Stage #2 Top Ten: 99,88,19,2,26,02,45,32,38,11