By Luis Torres, Staff Writer
Matt DiBenedetto will move to the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series on a full-time basis, driving the Rackley W.A.R.’s No. 25 Chevrolet Silverado.
The announcement was confirmed Thursday morning as the former Cup regular, who spent the last two seasons driving for Wood Brothers Racing in the Cup Series, will have a fresh start in Trucks where he’s never competed before.
“I can honestly say that, at this time in my career, I am truly excited,” said DiBenedetto. “I feel like I’m going back to my roots in a lot of ways. I love the feeling you immediately get when you talk to Curtis (Sutton), Willie (Allen), Chad (Kendrick, crew chief); all the guys around this organization.
“They are all hard-core racers and everyone is extremely dedicated. This opportunity is a blessing to me and I’m really excited to do my part in taking this team to the next level.”
For the Chris Sutton and Willie Allen co-owned entity, it’s about team growth as the single-truck organization are entering their second season.
The team started off with multi-time Truck Series winner Timothy Peters before splitting up after 10 races. From there, they’ve had multiple drivers in the No. 25 Silverado, including two-time Xfinity Series winner Josh Berry, who scored the team’s lone top-10 to date in the June Texas race.
Allen, who made two starts last year after not competing in the series since 2014, confirmed the alliance with GMS Racing will continue.
“We’re really appreciative of all they do for us. We will continue our manufacturer alliance with GM and Chevrolet, and we’re super-thankful for the resources they make available to us,” said Allen.
“This series is for sure the most competitive out there right now, and we are really fortunate to have excellent partners. We anticipate a big year as we look forward to our first win.”
DiBenedetto will make his series debut in next month’s season opener at Daytona International Speedway Friday, February 18.