By Josh Farmer, Contributing Journalist
Santino Ferrucci will return to Dale Coyne Racing for the final two rounds of the 2018 Verizon IndyCar Series season.
The 20-year-old from Woodbury, Connecticut will drive the No. 39 Cly-Del Honda for the Chicago-based outfit alongside Sebastien Bourdais and Pietro Fittipaldi in the Portland Grand Prix and the Grand Prix of Sonoma.
Ferrucci made his IndyCar debut for DCR at the Detroit doubleheader earlier this year, subbing for Fittipaldi. He finished 22nd and 20th in both races. He will take part in the series’ test at the Portland International Raceway on August 30 before the Portland Grand Prix weekend kicks off.
Ferrucci was a test driver for the Haas F1 team in Formula 1 and competed in the F2 Championship for Trident Racing. He was suspended in July for unsportsmanlike conduct following a race at Silverstone. He is enthusiastic about his opportunity to return to racing.
“I am extremely grateful to Dale (Coyne) and everyone at Dale Coyne Racing for giving me this opportunity to get back behind the wheel of an Indy car in Portland and Sonoma,” said Ferrucci.
“I’m also excited to be bringing my long-time sponsor Cly-Del on board and introducing them to the world of IndyCar racing. I truly enjoyed my time with Dale Coyne Racing in Detroit earlier this season and I couldn’t be more excited to be back with them for a couple more races as I look to the future and enter the next chapter of my career.”
Team owner Dale Coyne liked what he saw out of Ferruci at Detroit and noted that he wanted to give him another shot.
“We were very impressed with Santino at Detroit this year, and not just by his performance behind the wheel, but also by his professionalism and maturity outside of the race car,” he said.
“We’ve had lengthy discussions with Santino in the past few months, and we’re excited to have him back for the final two rounds of the season.”