By Luis Torres, Staff Writer
Once again, the health crisis provides more discouraging news in the world of Formula One as the FIA announced Tuesday that the Canadian Grand Prix, scheduled to take place June 14, 2020, has been postponed.
What was meant to be a record-high 22 rounds last month has now been heavily reduced to just 13 rounds due to the current COIVD-19 pandemic. As of April 7, 2020, the season opener is now the critically unpopular French Grand Prix at Circuit Paul Ricard June 28.
Despite the postponement, the FIA and representatives of the city of Montreal, Tourism Montreal and both provincial and federal governments have spent the last month communicating to see if anything can be done to keep the race on the calendar. However, it didn’t work out as once more safety and health became paramount.
“We have been working closely with our friends at the Canadian Grand Prix over the past few weeks and support them in taking this necessary decision to ensure the safety of fans and the F1 community,” said Chase Carey, Chairman and CEO of F1. “We always look forward to travelling to the incredible city of Montreal and while we will all have to wait a bit longer, we will put on a great show when we arrive later this year.”
President and CEO of the Canadian Grand Prix Francois Dumontier understands the situation and whenever the time comes for racing’s return, F1 are more than welcome to race at the Circuit Gilles Villenueve with ease.
“I am proud to see how such wonderful initiatives and technical advancements stemming from Formula 1 are being applied in a time of crisis,” said Dumontier. “At the moment it is crucial that all of our energies be put together to overcome COVID-19. We will welcome you with open arms at Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve as soon as it is safe to do so.”
Not only the FIA confirmed Montreal’s current fate, they’ve also approved on extending the shutdown period from 21 to 35 days after the Formula 1 Strategy Group, Commission and all 10 teams have unanimously voted for the option.
Therefore, this break will least through April and/or May that’ll keep all competitors and Power Unit manufacturers from working.
Last month, the governing body moved the shutdown period from the summer to where its current time period.