By David Morgan, NASCAR Editor
TALLADEGA, Alabama – After Roush-Fenway Racing announced that Matt Kenseth would be returning to drive the No. 6 car on a part-time basis later this season, there was one person that had been silent on the news — current driver of the car, Trevor Bayne.
On Friday, Bayne finally broke his silence and said his peace about the deal that will see Bayne and Kenseth splitting time behind the wheel for the remainder of the 2018 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series season.
“First of all, my health is 100%,” said Bayne. “I am as fit physically, mentally and spiritually as I have ever been to do my job well. The second part is that my desire is still as it has always been since I was five-years-old to come to the track every weekend to contend for wins and championships and be a driver at the top level in the Cup Series. Nothing there has changed. I am still going to pursue that because I feel I have the ability to do that. Right now, I don’t have much more to add to that.”
Bayne noted in a later television interview that he was just keeping his mind focused on the races he would run and getting his car up front trying to win races.
Through the first nine races of the season, Bayne has yet to finish inside the top-10, with his 12th place run at Texas and 13th place finish at Daytona marking his only finishes inside the top-20. Heading into Sunday’s race at Talladega, Bayne sits 26th in points.
In 14 previous starts at Talladega, Bayne has one top-five finish (October 2017) and three top-10 finishes, 43 laps led, and an average finish of 25.1.