By David Morgan, NASCAR Editor
Over the past two seasons, both Chevrolet and Toyota have rolled out new versions of their Gen-6 Cup Series cars, with Chevrolet electing to go with the Camaro and Toyota showing off a revamped nose on their Camry. Now, Ford will get their chance to update their model that they race in NASCAR’s premier series.
Earlier this year, team owner Roger Penske let it slip that the Blue Oval Brigade would be getting a new car next year and speculation began that the Mustang would be that new model.
On Tuesday, Ford made it official as they announced that they would indeed be entering the Mustang into Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series competition starting in 2019.
“We’re combining America’s favorite sports car with America’s top stock car racing series,” said Mark Rushbrook, global director, Ford Performance Motorsports. “Mustang always has been about affordable performance, which can be traced to innovations we’ve made competing in racing, like NASCAR. Mustang is a perfect fit for our racing heritage today and tomorrow.”
Ford has run the Mustang in the NASCAR Xfinity Series since 2011, winning four of the last five owner’s championships with Team Penske, as well as back-to-back driver’s championships in 2011 and 2012 with Ricky Stenhouse, Jr. behind the wheel.
The new Mustang will mark Ford’s fourth different car model in the Cup Series, following the Thunderbird, Taurus, and the current Fusion model.
“This announcement makes me very happy,” said Edsel B. Ford II, a member of Ford Motor Company’s board of directors. “Mustang is a car that is woven into the fabric of our country, and it’s only right that we put it on the track in NASCAR’s most visible series. I can’t wait.”
The manufacturer stated that the model is still going through the initial testing phase before being submitted to NASCAR for approval later this year.