By Seth Eggert, NASCAR Writer
The last time the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series visited Talladega Superspeedway, Timothy Peters took home the victory in a race that debuted rules similar to the current Overtime rules. The race ended under caution with Brandon Jones finishing second.
Johnny Sauter, Parker Kligerman, and Timothy Peters are the only former winners in the field this weekend.
Saturday’s race at Talladega Superspeedway is the first-ever Chase Elimination race for the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series.
Truck Series Chase
After the first two Truck Series Chases race at New Hampshire Motor Speedway and Las Vegas Motor Speedway, William Byron is the only Chase driver who has punched his ticket to the Round of Six with a victory at the Magic Mile. Tyler Reddick, a non-Chaser, played spoiler at Las Vegas.
The 2016 Chase Grid for the Camping World Truck Series is as follows:
- 9 William Byron [6 wins, Advancing to Round of Six], 2080
- 4 Christopher Bell [1 win], 2062, +25
- 88 Matt Crafton [2 wins], 2061, +24
- 33 Ben Kennedy [1 win] 2055, +18
- 17 Timothy Peters, 2053, +16
- 21 Johnny Sauter [1 win] 2052, +15
- 19 Daniel Hemric, [In Danger of Elimination], 2037, -15
- 8 John Hunter Nemechek, [In Danger of Elimination], 2037, -15
What to Watch For
There are several storylines going into this weekend’s race to watch for:
- With the start of the 2016 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Chase, will a Chaser win, or will another driver play the role of spoiler?
- Austin Cindric returns in the No. 2 Pirtek Ford F-150 for Brad Keselowski Racing.
- Korbin Forrister returns in the No. 5 All Secure Document Disposal Company Toyota Tundra for Wauters Motorsports.
- Matt Tifft returns for another race in the No. 11 Brain Gear/Surface Sunscreen Toyota Tundra for Red Horse Racing.
- Grant Enfinger will be in the No. 24 Plugfones Chevrolet Silverado once again for GMS Racing.
- Bobby Gerhart returns in the No. 36 Lucas Oil Chevrolet Silverado for the Mittler Brothers.
- Cody Coughlin will be in the No. 51 JEGS Toyota Tundra for Kyle Busch Motorsports.
- Parker Kligerman returns in the No. 75 Toyota Tundra for Henderson Motorsports.
- Chris Fontaine returns in the No. 78 Glenden Enterprises Toyota Tundra for BJ McLeod.
Where and When to Watch (All Times Eastern)
Practice 1: Friday, October 21, 1:00 p.m. on Fox Sports 1
Practice 2: Friday, October 21, 3:00 p.m. on Fox Sports 1
Qualifying: Saturday, October 22, 10:30 a.m. on Fox Sports 1
Race: Saturday, October 22, 1:00 p.m. on Fox Sports 1, SiriusXM Channel 90, MRN Radio