By Seth Eggert, NASCAR Writer
The last time the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series visited Phoenix International Raceway, Timothy Peters took home the victory in thrilling fashion. Before Peters took the lead, race leaders Erik Jones, Matt Crafton, and Johnny Sauter were all involved in a late race accident. Once in the lead, Peters held off a late race run by John Hunter Nemechek to take the win by just 0.309 seconds.
Timothy Peters is the only former winner in the field this weekend.
Daniel Suarez and Mike Harmon are the only NASCAR Xfinity Series regulars in the race.
Truck Series Chase
After the second race of the second round of the CWTS Chase, Johnny Sauter kept another Chaser from securing his ticket to Homestead-Miami Speedway with a win at Texas Motor Speedway.
The 2016 Chase Grid for the Camping World Truck Series is as follows:
- 21 Johnny Sauter [3 wins, Advancing to Homestead], 3072
- 9 William Byron [6 wins], 3052, +5
- 4 Christopher Bell [1 win], 3051, +4
- 88 Matt Crafton [2 wins], 3048, +1
- 17 Timothy Peters [In Danger of Elimination], 3047, -1
- 33 Ben Kennedy [1 win, In Danger of Elimination], 3035, -13
What to Watch For
There are several storylines going into this weekend’s race to watch for:
- With the start of the 2016 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Chase, will a Chaser win, or will another driver play the role of spoiler?
- Dominique Van Wieringen will make her NASCAR CWTS debut in the No. 02 Durobyte Chevrolet Silverado for Young’s Motorsports.
- Dylan Lupton will be in the No. 05 Jive Communications/Zaxby’s Chevrolet Silverado for Athenian Motorsports as John Wes Townley is sidelined due to a non-racing related ankle injury.
- Austin Cindric returns in the No. 2 Pirtek Ford F-150 for Brad Keselowski Racing.
- Stewart Friesen returns in the No. 16 Halmar International Chevrolet Silverado for Halmar Racing.
- Noah Gragson will make his NASCAR CWTS debut in the No. 18 Speed Vegas/Alert ID Toyota Tundra for Kyle Busch Motorsports.
- Myatt Snider will make his NASCAR CWTS debut in the No. 22 Louisiana Hot Sauce Toyota Tundra for AM Racing.
- Kaz Grala will be in the No. 24 Black Friday Chevrolet Silverado for GMS Racing.
- Daniel Suarez will be in the No. 51 Arris Toyota Tundra for Kyle Busch Motorsports.
- Austin Wayne Self returns in the No. 66 Chervolet Silverado for Bolen Motorsports.
Where and When to Watch (All Times Eastern)
Practice 1: Friday, November 11, 10:00 a.m. on Fox Sports 1
Practice 2: Friday, November 11, 11:40 a.m. on Fox Sports 1
Qualifying: Friday, November 11, 5:15 p.m. on Fox Sports 1
Race: Friday, November 11, 10:00 p.m. on Fox Sports 1, SiriusXM Channel 90, MRN Radio