By Seth Eggert, NASCAR Writer
16 races into the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series season six series regulars have scored a victory (Christopher Bell four times, John Hunter Nemechek and Johnny Sauter twice, Austin Cindric, Matt Crafton, and Kaz Grala once). Bell has a 15-point lead over Sauter heading into the 17th race of the season. This weekend marks the first race of the 2017 Playoffs for the Truck Series competitors.
The last time the Truck Series visited New Hampshire Motor Speedway, William Byron took home the victory in dominant fashion. Byron led a staggering 161 of the 175 laps on his way to victory, beating Bell by 0.446 seconds. Crafton, Tyler Reddick, and Timothy Peters rounded out the top five that day. Of those who finished in the top five last year, only Bell is entered in this weekend’s race.
There are no former winners at New Hampshire in this weekend’s race, guaranteeing a new winner in what currently will be the final Truck Series race at ‘The Magic Mile.’
Truck Series Championship
After the reseeding, Bell has 2,040 points with a 15-point lead over Sauter. Nemechek and Crafton are tied for third, 26-points behind. Chase Briscoe is fifth with 2,009 points. Cindric and Ben Rhodes are tied for sixth, 33-points behind Bell. Kaz Grala rounds out the Playoff competitors with 2,005 points.
At Chicagoland, the first stage ends on lap 55, the second stage on lap 110, and the final stage on lap 175.
What to Watch For in the UNOH 175
There are several storylines going into this weekend’s race to watch for:
- Austin Hill will be in the No. 02 Treezyn Camo Ford F-150 for Young’s Motorsports.
- Gray Gaulding returns in the No. 15 Chevrolet Silverado for Premium Motorsports.
- Ryan Truex will have Price Chopper as the primary sponsor of his No. 16 Toyota Tundra for Hattori Racing Enterprises.
- Austin Wayne Self will be in the No. 44 AM Technical Solutions Chevrolet Silverado for Faith Motorsports in cooperation with AM Racing.
- Todd Gilliland will be in the No. 51 Pedigree Toyota Tundra for Kyle Busch Motorsports.
- Stewart Friesen returns in the No. 52 We Build America Chevrolet Silverado for Halmar-Friesen Racing.
Where and When to Watch (All Times Eastern)
Practice 1: Friday, September 22, 1:30 p.m. on Fox Sports 1.
Practice 2: Friday, September 22, 3:30 p.m. on Fox Sports 1.
Qualifying: Saturday, September 23, 10:05 a.m., on Fox Sports 1.
Race: Saturday, September 23, 1:00 p.m., on Fox Sports 1, SiriusXM Channel 90, and the Motor Racing Network.