By Seth Eggert, Staff Writer
It’s the 26th and final race of the regular season. Three full-time NASCAR Xfinity Series regulars have combined to score 10 victories. The Xfinity Series returns Las Vegas Motor Speedway for the second time this season. The battle to make the Playoffs, battle for the Regular Season Championship, and stage racing are just some of the storylines heading into the 26th race of the season.
Coverage for the DC Solar 300 is scheduled to start Saturday at 5:00 p.m. ET. Las Vegas has been on the Xfinity Series schedule since the 1997 season and has never hosted the 26th race of the schedule before. In 22 races at the 1.5-Mile Tri-Oval, 17 drivers have visited victory lane. The last 10 races have produced 10 different winners. Jeff Green is the only former winner entered in Saturday’s race.
The last time the Xfinity Series visited Indianapolis, Kyle Larson took the victory in dominant fashion, leading 142 of the 200 laps. The Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series driver beat Series regular Christopher Bell to the line by 0.881 seconds. Eight drivers that finish in the top-10 that day are entered in Saturday’s race.
By the Numbers
What: DC Solar 300, NASCAR Xfinity Series Race No. 26
Where: Las Vegas Motor Speedway– Las Vegas, Nevada (Opened: 1996)
TV/Radio: NBCSN, 5:00 p.m. ET / PRN and SiriusXM Channel 90
Track Size: 1.5-Mile Tri-Oval
Banking: 12-20 degrees in the turns.
Race Length: 200 Laps, 300 Miles (Three Stages, 45/90/200)
2017 Race Winner: None, this is the inaugural second event at Las Vegas.
Track Qualifying Record: Kyle Busch (29.098 seconds, 185.580 mph – 3/11/2017).
Storylines Heading into the DC Solar 300:
There are several storylines going into this weekend’s race to watch for:
- Shane Lee returns to the No. 3 Childress Vineyards Chevrolet Camaro SS for Richard Childress Racing.
- Landon Cassill returns to the No. 4 Eat Illiana Watermelon Chevrolet Camaro SS for JD Motorsports.
- Ryan Preece returns to the No. 18 Rheem Toyota Camry for Joe Gibbs Racing.
- Austin Cindric will be in the No. 22 MoneyLion Ford Mustang for Team Penske.
- Spencer Gallagher will be in the No. 23 Allegiant Chevrolet Camaro SS for GMS Racing.
- Max Tullman returns in the No. 26 Yurpal.com Ford Mustang for Tullman Walker Racing.
- Ross Chastain will be in the No. 42 DC Solar Chevrolet Camaro SS for Chip Ganassi Racing.
- Chase Briscoe returns to the No. 60 Ford Mustang for Roush Fenway Racing.
Weekend Schedule (All Times Eastern)
Friday, September 14
- NXS Practice 1 (3:05 p.m. – 3:55 p.m. on NBCSN)
- NXS Practice 2 (5:05 p.m. – 5:55 p.m. on NBCSN)
Saturday, September 15
- NXS Qualifying (2:10 p.m. on NBCSN)
- NXS DC Solar 300 (5:00 p.m. – 200 laps, 300 miles – on NBCSN, SiriusXM Channel 90, and the Motor Racing Network)