By Seth Eggert, Staff Writer
For the 13th race of the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series season, the series visits the half-mile Eldora Speedway for the Eldora Dirt Derby. Teams using the NT1 Spec Engine versus those using OEM engines, the many ‘dirt ringers’ entered, drivers attempting their debut, and stage racing are just some of the storylines heading into the 13thrace of the season at Eldora.
Through the first dozen races of 2018, Truck Series regulars have won 10 of the 12 races so far this season.
Coverage for the Eldora Dirt Derby is scheduled to start Wednesday night at 9:00 p.m. ET. Eldora has been on the Truck Series schedule since the 2013 season. This is the first time that the track has hosted the 13thrace of the Truck Series season. No driver has ever repeated as winner at the famed dirt track. Ford is the only manufacturer yet to win at Eldora.
The last time the Truck Series visited Eldora Speedway, Matt Crafton earned the victory in dramatic fashion. Crafton held off then dirt-ringer Stewart Friesen on a late restart to win by 1.960 seconds. Seven drivers that finished in the top-10 that day are entered in Thursday night’s race. Crafton is the only former winner entered in the race.
By the Numbers
What: Buckle Up in Your Truck 225, NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Race 13
Where: Eldora Speedway – Allen Township, Ohio (Opened: 1954)
TV/Radio: Fox Sports 1, 9:00 p.m. ET / MRN and SiriusXM Channel 90
Track Size: .5-Mile Dirt Oval
Banking: 24 degrees in turns and 8 degrees on the straightaways.
Race Length: 150 Laps, 75 Miles (Three Stages, 40/90/150)
2017 Race Winner: Matt Crafton – No. 88 Ideal Doors / Menards Toyota Tundra (Started second, 24 laps led).
Track Qualifying Record: Ken Schrader (91.329 mph – 7/24/2013).
Storylines Heading into the Eldora Dirt Derby:
There are several storylines going into this weekend’s race to watch for:
- John Provenzano will attempt to make his NCWTS debut in the No. 03 Calumet City Auto Parts / Stop Bullying Chevrolet Silverado for Mike Affarano.
- Ryan Newman will make his first Series start since 2015 in the No. 3 VRX Ryan Newman VR Experience Esports Chevrolet Silverado for Jordan Anderson Racing.
- Ty Dillon will attempt his first NCWTS start of the season in the No. 12 Chevrolet Silverado for Young’s Motorsports.
- JR Heffner will be in the No. 15 A. Colarusso / Upstate Utilities Chevrolet Silverado for Premium Motorsports.
- Tyler Dippel will attempt his NCWTS debut in the No. 17 Hue Jackson Foundation / Caruso Logisitics Toyota Tundra for DGR – CROSLEY Group.
- Tanner Thorson returns in the No. 20 Ohio Logistics Chevrolet Silverado for Young’s Motorsports.
- Chase Briscoe will attempt his first start of the season in the No. 27 Ford F-150 for ThorSport Racing.
- Braden Mitchell will attempt his NCWTS debut in the No. 33 Sparks Energy Chevrolet Silverado for Reaume Brothers Racing.
- Jeffrey Abbey will attempt his first start of the season in the No. 34 Chevrolet Silverado for Reaume Brothers Racing.
- Max McLaughlin will attempt his NCWTS debut in the No. 38 Niece Equipment Chevrolet Silverado for Niece Motorsports.
- Logan Norman Seavey will make his NCWTS debut in the No. 51 Mobil 1 Toyota Tundra for Kyle Busch Motorsports.
- Chris Windom will be in the No. 54 Baldwin Brothers / Crosley Brands Toyota Tundra for DGR – CROSLEY Group.
- Kyle Strickler will attempt to make his NCWTS debut No. 63 Chevrolet Silverado for MB Motorsports.
- Trevor Collins will attempt his NCWTS debut in the No. 74 Chevrolet Silverado for Mike Harmon Racing.
- Justin Shipley will be in the No. 80 Roger’s Chevrolet Silverado for Justin Wallace Racing.
- Nick Hoffman will attempt his first series start since 2011 in the No. 83 Chevrolet Silverado for Copp Motorsports.
- RJ Otto, Jr. will attempt his NCWTS debut in the No. 97 S&S Express Ford F-150 for JJL Motorsports.
- Sheldon Creed will be in the No. 99 United Rentals Chevrolet Silverado for MDM Motorsports.
Weekend Schedule (All Times Eastern)
Tuesday, July 16
- NCWTS Practice 1 (7:05 p.m. – 7:55 p.m.)
- NCWTS Practice 2 (9:05 p.m. – 9:55 p.m.)
Wednesday, July 17
- NCWTS Qualifying (4:35 p.m. on Fox Sports 1)
- NCWTS Eldora Dirt Derby (9:00 p.m. – 150 laps, 75 miles – on Fox Sports 1, SiriusXM Channel 90, and the Motor Racing Network)