By Seth Eggert, Staff Writer
It’s the seventh race of the season and only one NASCAR Xfinity Series regular has scored a victory. The Xfinity Series returns to Bristol Motor Speedway for the Fitzgerald Glider Kits 300. The Xfinity Dash 4 Cash, zero Cup drivers, and stage racing are just some of the storylines heading into the seventh race of the season.
Coverage for the Fitzgerald Glider Kits 300 is scheduled to start Saturday afternoon at 1:00 p.m. ET. Bristol Motor Speedway has hosted the seventh race of the season since the 2015 season. In 71 races at the 0.500-mile high-banked Oval, 45 drivers have claimed victory. The last time an Xfinity Series regular competing exclusively in the Xfinity Series won at Bristol Motor Speedway was Elliott Sadler in 2012. Justin Allgaier, Jeff Green, and Sadler are the only former winners entered in Saturday’s race.
The last time the Xfinity Series visited Bristol Motor Speedway, Kyle Busch took the victory in dominating fashion. Busch lead 186 laps on his way to a 1.181 second victory over fellow Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series regular Daniel Suarez. Sadler was the highest finish Xfinity regular in third.
By the Numbers
What:Fitzgerald Glider Kits 300, NASCAR Xfinity Series Race Seven
Where: Bristol Motor Speedway – Bristol, Tennessee (Opened: 1961)
TV/Radio: Fox Sports 1, 1:00 p.m. ET / PRN and SiriusXM Channel 90
Track Size: 0.500-mile High-banked Oval
Banking: 26-30 degrees in the turns and 6-10 degrees on the straightaways.
Race Length: 300 Laps, 150 Miles (Three Stages, 85/170/300)
2017 Race Winner:Erik Jones – No. 20 Reser’s American Classic Toyota Camry (Started fourth, 27 laps led).
Track Qualifying Record: Kyle Larson (14.992 seconds, 127.988 mph – 4/22/2017).
Storylines Heading into the Fitzgerald Glider Kits 300:
There are several storylines going into this weekend’s race to watch for:
- The race within a race, the Xfinity Series Dash 4 Cash begins with Bristol. Daniel Hemric, Christopher Bell, Ryan Preece, and Cole Custer are the four drivers competing for the $100,000 prize.
- Shane Lee will make his NASCAR Xfinity Series debut in the No. 3 Childress Vineyards Chevrolet Camaro SS for Richard Childress Racing.
- Tommy Joe Martins returns to the No. 8 Chevrolet Camaro SS for BJ McLeod Motorsports.
- Ryan Preece returns in the No. 18 Rheem Toyota Camry for Joe Gibbs Racing.
- Austin Cindric will be in the No. 22 Fitzgerald Glider Kits Ford Mustang for Team Penske.
- Tony Mrakovich will make his NASCAR Xfinity Series debut in the No. 28 Smart Emissions Reducer Ford Mustang for JGL Racing.
- John Hunter Nemechek returns to the No. 42 Fire Alarm Services Chevrolet Camaro SS for Chip Ganassi Racing.
- Ty Majeski will make his first start of the season in the No. 60 SunnyD Ford Mustang for Roush Fenway Racing.
- Chase Briscoe returns in the No. 98 Ford Mustang for Stewart-Haas Racing with Biagi-Denbeste Racing.
Weekend Schedule (All Times Eastern)
Friday, April 13
- NXS Practice 1 (1:35 p.m. – 2:25 p.m., on Fox Sports 1)
- NXS Practice 2 (3:35 p.m. – 4:25 p.m., on Fox Sports 1)
Saturday, April 14
- NXS Qualifying (9:35 a.m., on Fox Sports 1)
- NXS Fitzgerald Glider Kits 300 (1:00 p.m. – 300 laps, 150 miles – on Fox Sports 1, SiriusXM Channel 90, and the Performance Racing Network)