By Seth Eggert, Staff Writer
It’s the 15th race of the season and only three full-time NASCAR Xfinity Series regulars has scored a victory. The Xfinity Series returns to Chicagoland Speedway for the Overton’s 300. The return of Cup drivers, Kaz Grala’s sponsorship woes, and stage racing are just some of the storylines heading into the 15th race of the season.
Coverage for the Overton’s 300 is scheduled to start Saturday at 3:30 p.m. ET. Chicagoland has been on the schedule since it opened prior to the 2001 season and has never hosted the 15th race of the season until now. In 22 races at the 1.5-mile D-Shaped Oval, 14 drivers have visited victory lane.
The last time the Xfinity Series visited Chicagoland, Justin Allgaier took the victory in dramatic fashion. Allgaier took the lead on a late restart and had to hold off Erik Jones and Kyle Larson over the final 15 laps. He won by 1.772 seconds. Only five drivers that finished in the top-10 that day are entered in Saturday’s field.
By the Numbers
What:Overton’s 300, NASCAR Xfinity Series Race 15
Where: Chicagoland Speedway – Joliet, Illnois (Opened: 2001)
TV/Radio: NBCSN, 3:30 p.m. ET / MRN and SiriusXM Channel 90
Track Size: 1.5-mile D-Shaped Oval
Banking: 18 degrees in the turns, 11 degrees on the frontstretch, and 5 degrees on the backstretch.
Race Length: 200 Laps, 300 Miles (Three Stages, 45/90/200)
2017 Race Winner: Justin Allgaier – No. 7 Brandt / Celebrating the Future of Agriculture Chevrolet Camaro SS (Started 14th,158 laps led).
Track Qualifying Record: Ryan Newman (28.964 seconds, 186.438 mph – 7/8/2005).
Storylines Heading into the Overton’s 300:
There are several storylines going into this weekend’s race to watch for:
- Jeb Burton returns to the No. 3 Work4Estes.com Chevrolet Camaro SS for Richard Childress Racing.
- Blake Jones returns to the No. 8 Tennessee XXX Moonshine Chevrolet Camaro SS for BJ McLeod Motorsports.
- Tyler Reddick will have Takl as the primary sponsor of his No. 9 Chevrolet Camaro SS for JR Motorsports.
- Austin Cindric will be in the No. 12 Menards / Mastercraft Doors Ford Mustang for Team Penske.
- Daniel Suarez returns to the No. 18 Juniper Networks Toyota Camry for Joe Gibbs Racing.
- Paul Menard will be in the No. 22 Discount Tire Ford Mustang for Team Penske.
- Chase Elliott returns to the No. 23 Shockwave Chevrolet Camaro SS for GMS Racing
- Kyle Larson returns to the No. 42 ENEOS Chevrolet Camaro SS for Chip Ganassi Racing.
- Chase Briscoe returns to the No. 60 Nutri Chomps Ford Mustang for Roush Fenway Racing.
- Kaz Grala will be in the No. 61 IT Coalition / Kiklos Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil Ford Mustang for Fury Race Cars LLC.
- Scott Heckert will make his first Series start since the 2016 season in the No. 78 Chevrolet Camaro SS for B.J. McLeod Motorsports.
- Kevin Harvick returns in the No. 98 Hunt Brothers Pizza Ford Mustang for Stewart-Haas Racing with Biagi-DenBeste Racing.
Weekend Schedule (All Times Eastern)
Friday, June 29
- NXS Practice 1 (4:35 p.m. – 5:20 p.m., on NBCSN)
- NXS Practice 2 (7:35 p.m. – 8:20 p.m., on NBCSN)
Saturday, June 30
- NXS Qualifying (12:40 p.m., on NBCSN)
- NXS Overton’s 300 (3:30 p.m. – 200 laps, 300 miles – on NBCSN, SiriusXM Channel 90, and the Motor Racing Network)