By Seth Eggert, NASCAR Writer
The last time the NASCAR Xfinity Series visited Charlotte Motor Speedway, NASCAR Sprint Cup Series driver Austin Dillon took a trip to victory lane. In doing so, Dillon swept both Charlotte Xfinity races last year.
NASCAR Sprint Cup Series regulars have won the last 13 Xfinity races at Charlotte Motor Speedway. The last time an Xfinity Series regular won at Charlotte Motor Speedway when Mike Bliss took the Miccosukee Resort & Gaming Chevrolet to victory lane in 2009.
Dillon will once again be behind the wheel, piloting the No. 2 Rheem Chevrolet Camaro for Richard Childress Racing.
Xfinity Series Chase
10 races into the 2016 Xfinity Series Season, there have been six different winners, however, only two of them, Erik Jones and Elliott Sadler are Xfinity Series regulars. Both Jones and Sadler have most likely secured their spot in the 2016 Xfinity Series Chase. The other winners this season are Austin Dillon, Chase Elliott, Dale Earnhardt Jr., and Kyle Busch.
What to Watch For
There are several storylines going into this weekend’s race to watch for:
- Can Austin Dillon continue his win streak at Charlotte Motor Speedway?
- Many Xfinity Series regulars are looking at scoring their first win of the season and to lock themselves into the Xfinity Series Chase.
- Points leader Elliott Sadler is looking to extend his championship points lead over Daniel Suarez.
- Sunoco Rookie of the Year Points leader Erik Jones looks to increase his lead lead over fellow rookies Brandon Jones, Brennan Poole, Ryan Preece, and Garrett Smithley.
- Camping World Truck Series regular, and JR Motorsports (JRM) driver Cole Custer makes his first appearance in the JRM ‘All-Star No. 88 Car,’ as Spencer Gallagher and Timmy Hill also will be in the field.
- Sprint Cup Series regulars Austin Dillon, Denny Hamlin, Joey Logano, Kyle Larson, Matt Dibenedetto, and Ryan Blaney will be in the field.
Image: Matt Sullivan/NASCAR via Getty Images