By Seth Eggert, Staff Writer
It’s the 19th race of the season and three full-time NASCAR Xfinity Series regulars have combined to score six victories. The Xfinity Series returns to Iowa Speedway for the US Cellular 250. No Cup drivers, new faces in different places, and stage racing are just some of the storylines heading into the weekend.
Coverage for the US Cellular 250 is scheduled to start Saturday at 5:20 p.m. ET. Iowa has been on the schedule since the 2009 season and has hosted the 19th race of the season since 2015. In 17 races at the 0.875-mile Tri-Oval, 12 drivers have visited victory lane. The last eight races at the track have produced eight different winners.
The last time the Xfinity Series visited Iowa, Justin Allgaier took the victory in dominant and dramatic fashion, leading 182 laps. Allgaier held off Christopher Bell on a late restart, beating him to the line by 0.745 seconds. Seven drivers that finish in the top-10 that day are entered in Saturday’s race.
By the Numbers
What: US Cellular 250, NASCAR Xfinity Series Race 19
Where: Iowa Speedway – Newton, Iowa (Opened: 2006)
TV/Radio:NBCSN, 5:20 p.m. ET / PRN and SiriusXM Channel 90
Track Size: 0.875-mile Tri-Oval
Banking: 12-14 degrees in the turns, 10 degrees on the frontstretch, and 4 degrees on the backstretch.
Race Length: 250 Laps, 219 Miles (Three Stages, 60/120/250)
2017 Race Winner: Justin Allgaier – No. 7 Brandt Professional Agriculture Chevrolet Camaro SS (Started 11th, 182 laps led).
Track Qualifying Record: Austin Dillon (23.037 seconds, 136.737 mph – 6/9/2013).
Storylines Heading into the US Cellular 250:
There are several storylines going into this weekend’s race to watch for:
- Elliott Sadler will have US Cellular as the primary sponsor of his No. 1 Chevrolet Camaro SS for JR Motorsports.
- Matt Tifft will have American Ethanol e15 as the primary sponsor of his No. 2 Chevrolet Camaro SS for Richard Childress Racing.
- Shane Lee returns to the No. 3 Childress Vineyards Chevrolet Camaro SS for Richard Childress Racing.
- Justin Allgaier will have Precision Tank as the primary sponsor of his No. 7 Chevrolet Camaro SS for JR Motorsports.
- Kyle Benjamin returns to the No. 18 Toyota Service Centers / Mobil 1 Toyota Camry for Joe Gibbs Racing.
- Austin Cindric will be in the No. 22 Menards / Tide Ford Mustang for Team Penske.
- Casey Roderick will make his first Series start since 2012 in the No. 23 Chevrolet Accessories Chevrolet Camaro SS for GMS Racing.
- Max Tullman will make his debut in No. 26 Zoomi / Myota Ford Mustang for Tullman Walker Racing.
- John Hunter Nemechek returns to the No. 42 Fire Alarm Services, Inc. Chevrolet Camaro SS for Chip Ganassi Racing.
- Chase Briscoe returns to the No. 60 Ford Mustang for Roush Fenway Racing.
Weekend Schedule (All Times Eastern)
Friday, July 27
- NXS Practice 1 (4:05 p.m. – 4:55 p.m., on NBCSN)
- NXS Practice 2 (5:35 p.m. – 6:25 p.m., on NBCSN)
Saturday, July 28
- NXS Qualifying (3:05 p.m., on NBCSN)
- NXS US Cellular 250 (5:20 p.m. – 250 laps, 219 miles – on NBCSN, SiriusXM Channel 90, and the Motor Racing Network)