By Seth Eggert, NASCAR Writer
The last time the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series visited Las Vegas Motor Speedway, John Wes Townley took home a surprise victory in a fuel mileage race Townley beat Timothy Peters by nearly four seconds.
Johnny Sauter, Timothy Peters, and Townley are the only former winners in the field this weekend.
Truck Series Chase
After the first Truck Series Chase race at New Hampshire Motor Speedway, William Byron has punched his ticket to the Round of Six with a victory at the Magic Mile.
The 2016 Chase Grid for the Camping World Truck Series is as follows:
- 9 William Byron [6 wins, Advancing to Round of Six], 2052
- 88 Matt Crafton [2 wins], 2036, +11
- 4 Christopher Bell [1 win], 2035, +10
- 8 John Hunter Nemechek [2 wins] 2030, +5
- 17 Timothy Peters, 2028, +3
- 21 Johnny Sauter [1 win] 2026, +1
The bottom two drivers will be eliminated from the Chase after Talladega:
- 33 Ben Kennedy [1 win], 2025, -1
- 19 Daniel Hemric, 2005, -21
What to Watch For
There are several storylines going into this weekend’s race to watch for:
- With the start of the 2016 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Chase, will a Chaser win, or will another driver play the role of spoiler?
- Matt Tifft returns for another race in the No. 11 Brain Gear/Surface Sunscreen Toyota Tundra for Red Horse Racing.
- Stewart Friesen returns in the No. 16 Halmar International Chevrolet Silverado.
- Grant Enfinger will be in the No. 24 Champion Power Equipment Chevrolet Silverado once again for GMS Racing.
- Cody Coughlin will be in the No. 51 JEGS Toyota Tundra for Kyle Busch Motorsports.
- Jordan Anderson and the No. 66 Bolen Motorsports Chevrolet Silverado will miss Saturday’s race. It is unclear as to when Anderson and his team will return to the track.
- Parker Kligerman returns in the No. 92 Ford F-150.
Where and When to Watch (All Times Eastern)
Qualifying: Saturday, October 1, 6:00 p.m. on Fox Sports 2
Race: Saturday, October 1, 8:30 p.m. on Fox Sports 1, SiriusXM Channel 90, MRN Radio