By Seth Eggert, NASCAR Writer
The last time the NASCAR Xfinity Series visited Dover International Speedway, Erik Jones took home the victory in exciting fashion. Jones held off Darrell Wallace, Jr. on a late restart and went on to win by 1.434 seconds. The last the Xfinity Series visited Dover, the race was a part of the Xfinity Dash 4 Cash program and included heat races. Saturday’s race will not feature heat race.
Kyle Busch, Jones, and Joey Logano are the only past winners in the field this weekend.
NASCAR Sprint Cup Series drivers in the field this weekend include Austin Dillon, Kyle Busch, Joey Logano, and Matt Dibenedetto.
Xfinity Series Chase
After the first Xfinity Series Chase race, Elliott Sadler has punched his ticket to the Round of Eight, winning at Kentucky Motor Speedway.
The 2016 NASCAR Xfinity Series Chase Grid looks like this:
- 1 Elliott Sadler [3 wins, Advancing to Round of Eight], 2050
- 19 Daniel Suarez [1 win], 2042, +15
- 62 Brendan Gaughan, 2036, +9
- 16 Ryan Reed, 2034, +7
- 6 Darrell Wallace, Jr., 2034, +7
- 7 Justin Allgaier, 2032, +5
- 48 Brennan Poole, 2031, +4
- 11 Blake Koch, 2030, +3
Bottom four drivers are eliminated after Charlotte:
- 20 Erik Jones [4 wins], 2027, -3
- 39 Ryan Sieg, 2025, -5
- 33 Brandon Jones, 2015, -15
- 3 Ty Dillon, 2015, -15
What to Watch For
There are several storylines going into this weekend’s race to watch for:
- Will a Cup Series regular win again, or will an Xfinity Series Chase contender take the win? Or will another play the role of spoiler?
- Points leader Elliott Sadler is looking extend his 15-point lead even further over Daniel Suarez.
- Austin Dillon will be in the No. 2 Rheem Chevrolet Camaro for Richard Childress Racing.
- Kyle Busch will be in the No. 18 NOS Energy Drink Toyota Camry for Joe Gibbs Racing.
- Joey Logano will be in the No. 22 Fitzgerald Ford Mustang for Team Penske.
- Corey LaJoie returns in the No. 24 Youtheory Toyota Camry for JGL Racing.
- Justin Marks returns for another start in the No. 42 Katerra Chevrolet Camaro for Chip Ganassi Racing.
- Alex Bowman will be in the JR Motorsports ‘All-Star No. 88 Car.’
- Morgan Shepherd will attempt to compete in his 400th Xfinity Series race.
Where and When to Watch (All Times Eastern)
Practice 1: Friday, September 30, at 11:30 a.m. on NBCSN
Practice 2: Friday, September 30, at 1:30 p.m. on NBCSN
Qualifying: Saturday, October 1, at 11:45 a.m. on NBC Sports Live Extra (Online)
Race: Saturday, October 1, at 3:00 p.m. on NBCSN, NBC Sports Live Extra (Online), SiriusXM NASCAR Radio, and the Motor Racing Network.