By Seth Eggert, Staff Writer
With two races in the books, the NASCAR Xfinity Series is back in action at Las Vegas Motor Speedway for the Boyd Gaming 300. Cup drivers, series regulars looking to rebound, and stage racing are just some of the storylines heading into the third race of the season.
Coverage for the Boyd Gaming 300 is scheduled to start Saturday afternoon at 4:00 p.m. ET. Las Vegas has hosted the third race of the season since the 2008 season. In 21 races at the 1.5-mile Tri- Oval, 15 drivers have claimed victory. In the last nine years, the race has been dominated by Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series drivers. Premier Series drivers have won seven of the past nine races at Las Vegas. The last time an Xfinity Series regular won was in 2013 when Sam Hornish, Jr. went to victory lane.
The last time the Xfinity Series visited Las Vegas Motor Speedway, Joey Logano took the victory in dominating fashion. Logano held off fellow Cup drivers Kyle Larson, Daniel Suarez, and Austin Dillon, leading 106 laps on his way to victory.
By the Numbers
What: Boyd Gaming 300, NASCAR Xfinity Series Race Three
Where: Las Vegas Motor Speedway – Las Vegas, Nevada (Opened: 1996)
TV/Radio: Fox Sports 1, 4:00 p.m. ET / PRN and SiriusXM Channel 90
Track Size: 1.5-mile Tri- Oval
Banking: 12-20 degrees in turns
Race Length: 200 Laps, 300 Miles (Three Stages, 45/90/200)
2017 Race Winner: Joey Logano – No. 22 Fleetwood RV / REV Group Ford Mustang (Started fourth, 106 laps led).
Track Qualifying Record: Kyle Busch (20.098 seconds, 185.580 mph – 3/11/2017).
Storylines Heading Into the Boyd Gaming 300:
There are several storylines going into this weekend’s race to watch for:
- Austin Dillon will be in the No. 3 Go Green Equipment Chevrolet Camaro SS for Richard Childress Racing.
- Tommy Joe Martins will be in the No. 8 Zomongo Chevrolet Camaro SS for B.J. McLeod Motorsports.
- Kyle Busch will make his first start of the year in the No. 18 Interstate Batteries Toyota Camry for Joe Gibbs Racing. This will be the second race in Busch’s attempt at a triple header sweep.
- Ryan Blaney will be in the No. 22 Fitzgerald Glider Kits Ford Mustang for Team Penske.
- Joey Gase will have the Nevada Donor Network as the sponsor of his No. 35 Go Green Racing Chevrolet Camaro SS.
- Kyle Larson returns to the No. 42 DC Solar Chevrolet Camaro SS for Chip Ganassi Racing.
- David Starr will have Chasco Construction as the primary sponsor of his No. 52 Means Racing Chevrolet Camaro SS.
- Austin Cindric returns to the No. 60 Pirtek Ford Mustang for Roush Fenway Racing.
Weekend Schedule (All Times Eastern)
Friday, March 2
- NXS Practice 1 (12:05 p.m. – 12:55 p.m., on Fox Sports 1)
- NXS Practice 2 (2:05 p.m. – 2:50 p.m., on Fox Sports 1)
Saturday, March 3
- NXS Qualifying (1:05 p.m., on Fox Sports 1)
- NXS Boyd Gaming 300 (4:00 p.m. – 300 laps, 300 miles – on Fox Sports 1, SiriusXM Channel 90, and the Performance Racing Network)