By Seth Eggert, Staff Writer
In three races, only one NASCAR Xfinity Series regular has scored a victory. The Xfinity Series returns to the rebranded ISM Raceway (formerly Phoenix International Raceway) for the DC Solar 200. Cup drivers, series regulars looking to rebound, and stage racing are just some of the storylines heading into the fourth race of the season.
Coverage for the DC Solar 200 is scheduled to start Saturday afternoon at 4:00 p.m. ET. ISM Raceway has hosted the fourth race of the season since the 2015 season, and two races a year since 2005. In 32 races at the 1.0-mile Tri-Oval, 17 drivers have claimed victory. ISM Raceway was one of the few tracks last season in which Xfinity Series regulars swept both races. Justin Allgaier won in the spring with William Byron in the fall.
The last time the Xfinity Series visited ISM Raceway, Byron took the victory in exciting fashion. He took the lead from Ryan Blaney on the final restart, leading the final 17 laps on his way to victory.
By the Numbers
What: DC Solar 200, NASCAR Xfinity Series Race Four
Where: ISM Raceway – Avondale, Arizona (Opened: 1964)
TV/Radio: FOX, 4:00 p.m. ET / MRN and SiriusXM Channel 90
Track Size: 1.0-mile Tri- Oval
Banking: 10-11 degrees in turns one and two and dogleg. 8-9 degrees in turns three and four. 8-10 degrees on the backstretch, and 3 degrees on the frontstretch.
Race Length: 200 Laps, 200 Miles (Three Stages, 45/90/200)
2017 Race Winner: Justin Allgaier – No. 7 Brandt Chevrolet Camaro SS (Started fifth, 85 laps led).
Track Qualifying Record: Kyle Busch (25.992 seconds, 141.993 mph – 11/14/2015).
Storylines Heading Into the DC Solar 200:
There are several storylines going into this weekend’s race to watch for:
- Cessna will be the primary sponsor of Elliott Sadler’s No. 1 Chevrolet Camaro SS for JR Motorsports.
- Dollar Shave Club will be the primary sponsor of Matt Tifft’s No. 2 Chevrolet Camaro SS for Richard Childress Racing.
- Ty Dillon will be in the No. 3 Bass Pro Shops / Cabela’s Chevrolet Camaro SS for Richard Childress Racing.
- Kyle Busch will be in the No. 18 NOS Toyota Camry for Joe Gibbs Racing.
- Brad Keselowski will be in the No. 22 Fitzgerald Glider Kits Ford Mustang for Team Penske.
- Spencer Gallagher will have Kingman Chevrolet as the primary sponsor of his GMS Racing No. 23 Chevrolet Camaro SS.
- Jamie McMurray returns to the No. 42 DC Solar Chevrolet Camaro SS for Chip Ganassi Racing. This will be McMurray’s first Xfinity Series start since 2013.
- Austin Cindric returns to the No. 60 Pirtek Ford Mustang for Roush Fenway Racing.
Weekend Schedule (All Times Eastern)
Friday, March 9
- NXS Practice 1 (2:05 p.m. – 2:55 p.m., on Fox Sports 1)
- NXS Practice 2 (4:05 p.m. – 4:55 p.m., on Fox Sports 1)
Saturday, March 10
- NXS Qualifying (1:05 p.m., on Fox Sports 1)
- NXS DC Solar 200 (4:00 p.m. – 200 laps, 200 miles – on Fox, SiriusXM Channel 90, and the Motor Racing Network)